Korean Spicy Chicken (Dakgalbi, 닭갈비)
Dak Galbi is Korean style stir fried spicy chicken. It is a popular Korean dish made by marinated diced chicken in a gochujang (Korean chili paste) based sauce with typically sweet potatoes, cabbage, perilla leaves, spring onion, and white rice cake.
Difficulty : MODERATE
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
Serving Proportion : 4 People
2 tsp vegetable oil
Boneless and skinless chicken thighs (800g), White cabbage (250g)
sweet potato(150g), rice cake (15 pieces), Spring Onion,
Sauce: 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons gochugaru (Korean red chili pepper flakes), 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon corn syrup or 2 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste), 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Alternatively, you can use our Ready Made Spicy Korean Chicken Marinade Sauce Product.
Here's how you do it
1. Soak the rice cakes in cold water for 10 to 20 minutes.
2. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Mix with the sauce and marinate while preparing vegetables.
3. Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise and then thinly slice crosswise and slightly diagonally. Cut the cabbage, and spring onion into small pieces.
4. Drain the rice cake and mix all ingredients with the sauce (or ready-made sauce) well in a bowl.
5. Heat a pan over medium high heat. You can add a tablespoon of oil if you want, but this is not necessary.
7. Add the chicken, sweet potatoes, rice cakes, and cabbages. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat if the ingredients (especially the rice cakes) stick to the pan.
8. The steam from the vegetables should keep them from sticking to the pan, but you can also add about 1/4 cup of water.
9. Add the spring onion and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until the rice cake and the sweet potato pieces turn soft. By then the chicken should be cooked through.
10. Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you prefer.
Without the rice cake in the ingredient, this dish is also a perfect Korean BBQ menu.
Prepare some lettuces and wrap the food with a pea size of ssamjang on top of the marinated chicken to experience perfect Korean BBQ.
Enjoy the dish with rice or noodle or on its own!
Let's Share: -