(V) Stir-Fried Glass Noodle (Japchae, 잡채)
Japchae is a traditional Korean dish, made with mainly sweet potato noodles and stir-fried vegetable in a soy sauce- based sauce. You can add beef (Sirloin or Rib eye) if prefer. You will surely enjoy its taste as well as its beautiful colours.
Difficulty : EASY
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
Serving Proportion : 4 People
250g Korean potato starch noodles,
1 small carrot, 1 small onion,
2 spring onion,
4 - 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach (1 bunch), vegetable oil for stir frying, salt and pepper, Broccoli if prefer
Sauce: 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 ½ tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp minced garlic,
2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
Alternatively, you can use our Japchae Seasoning sauce (150g)
Here's how you do it
1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Cut the carrot into match sticks. Thinly slice the onion. Cut the spring onion into similar lengths.
3. (Optional) Cut the beef into thin 2-inch long strips and mix with 1 tablespoon of the sauce.
4. Cut the stems off the mushrooms, and slice into 1/4-inch thin strips. Season with 1 tablespoon of the sauce.
5. Blanch the spinach in boiling water only until wilted. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out excess water, cut into about 2-inch lengths, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
6. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the package directions (usually 6 - 7 minutes). Rinse in cold water and drain. Cut the noodles with kitchen shears or a knife into 6 -7 inch lengths. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the prepared sauce in a large bowl.
6. In a large non-stick saucepan, stir fry the noodles over medium heat, stirring frequently, until translucent and a bit sticky (about 4 minutes). Transfer back to the bowl.
7. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the pan, and stir fry the onion until translucent over medium high heat, lightly sprinkling with salt and pepper. When the onion is almost done, stir-in the scallion and cook briefly. Transfer to the bowl with the noodles. Stir fry the carrot for 1 to 2 minutes until softened. (Do not overcook. The vegetables should be crisp.) Transfer to the bowl.
8. Stir mushrooms together for 2 - 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl.
9. Add the spinach and the remaining sauce to the bowl with all other prepared ingredients
Toss well by hand or a tong. Adjust the seasoning to taste by adding a little more (start with 1/2 teaspoon) soy sauce and/or sugar as necessary.
Gentle sprinkle of sesame seeds in the top and enjoy!
Let's Share: -
SHOP INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE